- Wallpaper: SWEETPOTATOCASSEROLEWITHMARSHMALLOWSANDSTREUSEL.jpg
- Food Recipes Easy
- April 3, 2019
Course Side Dish
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings 8 + as a side dish
Calories 360 kcal
Author Allison - Celebrating Sweets
MASHED SWEET POTATOES:
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes* peeled and chopped into large chunks, see note
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 -3 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until tender (about 7 minutes, depending on the size). Drain and return to the pot. Add butter, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt to the potatoes and mash until smooth. Use a hand mixer, if desired, to make them extra smooth. Taste the potatoes and add additional seasonings, if desired.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to the prepared casserole dish. Place in the oven until heated through (if they're warm it will only take a few minutes).
- While the sweet potatoes are heating, prepare the topping. In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Top with half the marshmallows, then sprinkle half the streusel over the marshmallows. Top with the other half of the marshmallows and sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top. Place back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the topping is bubbly and brown (keep an eye on it so the marshmallows don't burn). You can also place it under the broiler very briefly to add a little more color to the marshmallows.
*Some grocery stores might have these potatoes labeled as yams. Make sure you purchase sweet potatoes/yams with orange flesh. See the third picture in the post for a photo of the potatoes with and without the skin. Scrape the skin a little to see the color of the flesh, if necessary.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS:
- You can assemble the cooked and seasoned mashed sweet potatoes in a casserole dish and refrigerate tightly covered for 2 days (without any topping).
- You can also prepare the streusel topping (without the marshmallows) and refrigerate that separately.
- Before serving, bring the streusel topping to room temperature. Heat the potatoes (without any topping) in the oven until heated all the way through (30-ish minutes depending on the size of your casserole dish. Or speed it along by microwaving). Once the potatoes are warmed through, sprinkle on the marshmallows and streusel and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted.
Topping adapted from Food Network