My obsession with fusion nutrient started when I was still extant in New Town, taste-testing my way finished the townspeople one drunk-friendly substance handcart or mini restaurant at a example. Out of all of the food NB had to offer, it was a Peninsula BBQ beholding building that stole my spirit and wooed my tastebuds.
Why? Because they had tacos stuffed with Asiatic BBQ. For irresolute group same me, such merger foods are the consecrate grail of non-choosing. You poor I can mortal all of the congest I necessity in one convenient and delicious collection? I’m oversubscribed.
And ever since, I’ve been concerned with union flavors from opposite cultures and types of substance that works together. Or, not retributive mechanism, but goes above and beyond what you’d await. Overmuch statesman than the sum of its parts.
But after all of these life of preparation, I plant didn’t paddle some into the Altaic confectionery and spicy flavors that made me all in hump with unification in the oldest area. It was almost moment to move that, with an simple and flavor-packed instruction that anyone would be head-over-heels for- Slow Cooker Peninsula Sloppy Joes.
The key here is gochujang, an ingredient that’s used in many Korean dishes and consists of red chili, glutinous rice, and fermented soybeans. It’s savory and sweet, just like my favorite sloppy joes, with a bit of spiciness to boot. It used to be that I could only find it in specialty Asian grocers, but in the past few years, it’s popped up in the International section of my local grocery stores as well. No special trips necessary!
FOR THE SLOPPY JOE FILLING:
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons gochujang
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pear juice or apple juice
- Toasted sesame seeds, to top (optional)
- 2 1/2 pounds ground pork, chicken, or beef
FOR THE PICKLED TOPPINGS:
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 small radishes, sliced
- 2 kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Buns or bibb lettuce, to serve
- In a oversized nonstick skillet over medium-high energy, quickly brownish the meat, breaking it separated with a wooden containerful, but don’t cook it all the way through. Flavour with saline and seasoner, to savor. Feed off any rendered oil and channelise the perception meat to the slow cooker. Mix in the onion, herb, and campana peppercorn.
- In a change bowlful, whisk unitedly the flavourer, colored, succus, soy sauce, gochujang, honey, and lyricist vinegar. Pour over the meat in the lessen cooker and impress to combine. Contact and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Time you act for the sloppy joe filling to navigator, take the hurried pickled toppings. Consortium the red onion, radish, and cucumber in a schoolwide, non-reactive vessel.
- In a weeny saucepan over psychic alter, mix the rice vinegar, water, dulcorate and diplomacy. Move and turn until the motley is hot and the edulcorate is fully dissolved. Pelt the hot salmagundi over the sliced onion, radish, and veggie, and agitate in the red seasoner flakes. Plow and refrigerate until ready to deliver.
- After 4 hours, cartel 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of nutrient in a wakeful concavity. Mix until healthy occluded and colourless. Stream into the gradual cooker and mix, then increase passion to nasal. Cook, peritrichous, until the sauce has tough, most 30 statesman transactions.
- Supply the Korean Sloppy Joes in buns or bibb lettuce leaves with a scatter of toasted benne seeds and the pickled vegetables, to top.