- Wallpaper: 1555157079 2.jpg
- Food Recipes Easy
- April 13, 2019
This is my go-to, no-fail super duper easy microwave caramel recipe with an added little step that makes these caramels extra delicious! It takes a total of about 18-20 minutes of microwave time, but the best part is that there is no candy thermometer and these are really difficult to ruin, so don’t stress about caramel making any more, this recipe has you covered!
After the caramel is made, you let it set up in a pan for about an hour OR you can pop it in the fridge to speed up the process (I always do this, I’m too impatient to wait!) and then cut the caramels into squares. Be sure to use a 9×9 inch pan or smaller or your caramels will be too thin/flat. You want nice, tall square caramels!
Once you cut them into squares, use a fork to dip the caramels in melted chocolate, then allow to cool (again, I always put mine in the fridge or freezer for a couple of minutes to move things along!) and then you can devour them right there on the spot, or use a little white chocolate for decorating and then package them up for delivering to friends and neighbors. Happy holidays!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate candy melts
- optional: additional melted white chocolate for decorating/drizzling
- INSTRUCTIONS :
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on half power until completely melted. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove, stir, and return to microwave for 4 minutes. Remove, stir and return to microwave for 4 minutes. (You should be up to 12 minutes total now).
- Microwave for 2 more minutes and stir, stir in vanilla and sea salt, then pour into prepared foil-lined pan. Allow to cool completely at room temperature OR for a quick trick, pop the pan in the fridge to speed up the cooling process. Once firm, proceed to the next step, about 3 hours.
- Lift the foil from the pan and lay on a flat surface. Use a sharp knife to cut caramels into squares.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl melt candy melts on half power for 2 minutes and stir until smooth. (Return to microwave at half power in 20-second increments if needed until completely smooth when stirred).
- Place a square of caramel on a fork, then dip into the melted chocolate, use the fork to turn it over a few times to make sure it's completely coated, and then use the fork to lift (do not stab) the caramel from the chocolate. Tap the fork on the side of the bowl a few times to shake off any excess chocolate, then transfer to a sheet of wax/parchment/foil to cool completely. Repeat with remaining caramels. (To speed up the cooling, you can line a dinner plate with foil and place dipped caramels on the foil, then place in the freezer for 2-3 minutes)
- Optional: use melted white chocolate to decorate cooled caramels. Store at room temperature in airtight container up to 5 days.