CHICKEN PEPPER BACON MELTS
Prep Time: 30 mins
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-6 servings
- ½ pound bacon slices (8 strips)
- 1 large red bell pepper, about 8 ounces cut into thick strips
- 8 ounces (in weight) sweet onion such as Vidalia, cut into thick strips (one medium to large onion)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into four portions and pounded to ¼ inch thick
- Oil for frying
- ¾ cup condensed cream of chicken soup, see our homemade recipe here
- ¼ cup whole milk or light cream
- 4 thick slices Fontina cheese, total 8 ounces
- In a large sauté pan, cook bacon to just under crisp (still slightly chewy). Drain on paper towels and reserve bacon fat.
- Leave two tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan and reserve the remaining fat for later in this recipe.
- Heat the pan to medium heat and add peppers and onions and cook over medium for ten minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add salt and pepper to flour and place in a pie plate.
- Place the two eggs and two tablespoons of milk in a large bowl and whip.
- Place bread crumbs in a second pie plate.
- After chicken has been pounded, dip in flour, shake off excess, dip in egg then in bread crumbs and hold on a plate or platter.
- In the same pan you used to cook the peppers and onions, add remaining bacon fat and top it off with vegetable oil to about one half inch deep. Heat to 350 degrees using a candy thermometer to test.
- Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Fry two pieces of chicken at a time browning on each side and removing to waiting sheet tray. It is not necessary to cook completely through as it will finish in the oven so cook just to a nice golden brown on both sides.
- Mix the condensed cream of chicken soup with the quarter cup of milk or cream and microwave until hot. Divide this over the tops of each fried chicken portion.
- Next, divide the cooked onion and peppers evenly over the tops of the portions.
- Top each with two slices of bacon and then divide the cheese between each portion.
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite side