Prep Time 45 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 1 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Calories: 426 kcal
For the Almond Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/3 cups cake flour , sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites , you can discard the yolks or use them in a different recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 1.5 teaspoons almond extract , to taste
- 3 tablespoons sour cream , room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk (2% or whole preferred), room temperature
For the Cherry Buttercream
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons maraschino cherry syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Make the Almond Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with cupcake papers. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl using a stand or hand-held electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy and no lumps remain. Add in the egg whites, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat for about another 30 seconds until evenly combined. (Use 1 teaspoon almond extract for a less pronounced almond flavor or 1 and 1/2 teaspoons if you prefer a stronger almond flavor.) Turn the mixer down to low speed and beat in the sour cream. With the mixer still on low speed, beat in the flour mixture followed by the milk about 1/2 of each at a time. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3rds full. You should get about 12 cupcakes. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool fully before frosting.
Make the Cherry Frosting
- In a large bowl beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy and no lumps remain. Then turn down the mixer to low speed and slowly beat in the powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time. Then beat in the maraschino cherry syrup and almond extract. Once it gets thick in texture, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and beat for another 30 seconds. You may need to add 1 tablespoon of cream or milk if it’s too thick.
- Frost using a piping bag or with a flat edge knife and decorate each with a maraschino cherry.