Bacon Broccoli Mac and Cheese
prep 12 mins
prep 12 mins
cook 23 mins
total 35 mins
author jenn laughlin – peas and crayons
yield 4 servings
- 3-4 slices of bacon cooked
- 5-6 oz freshly grated cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed or blanched
- 8 oz pasta (measured by weight)
- 1/4 cup [1/2 stick] unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- season with additional salt and pepper, to taste, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Measure out all your ingredients, chop your broccoli, and grate your cheese.
- Boil pasta per package instructions (times will vary a smidge by brand/shape) until al dente. Drain and set aside one done.
- While the pasta cooks, start your sauce and broccoli.
- Cook broccoli via your favorite method. I’m a big fan of quickly blanching broccoli in boiling hot water until the florets turn bright green and tender.
- For the sauce, melt 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup) over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk constantly while the flour cooks off into a roux, approx. 3 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Slowly pour in your room temperature milk, whisking constantly until smooth and fully incorporated. Remove from heat. Sauce will thicken as it rests.
- Add pasta and broccoli florets to a 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle 5-6 ounces of freshly grated cheese on top of the pasta.
- Pour your cream sauce over the noodles and cheese. Use a rubber spatula to fold it all together. Feel free to top with a little extra cheese if you’d like, then top with bacon.
- Bake on center rack at 350 F for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.