Make the maximum of leftover rice with this easy recipe for Arancini (Rice Balls) stuffed with mozzarella and served with warm marinara sauce.
My first taste of true arancini, or Italian rice balls, became at Stuzzi Ristorante, a tiny restaurant in ny’s Flatiron community and just steps from where I attended culinary faculty. returned then, we knew the local hotspot as Bar Stuzzi, and it turned into a fave for Italian small plates paired with towering glasses of crisp Prosecco.
I’ll by no means forget about my first taste of arancini, as my eyes went wide on the sight of the baseball-sized rice balls lined in breadcrumbs, deep-fried and served atop a bed of vivid pink marinara. They have been a total triple risk: crunchy, creamy and cheesy.
Even though many arancini recipes begin with a risotto base, it’s flawlessly perfect to bypass the 20-minute stir time and begin with day-vintage rice.
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 eggs
- 8 small cubes fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- Location a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium warmth and add sufficient vegetable oil to rise 4 inches within the pot.
- Combine the rice, Parmesan and 1 egg in a medium bowl and use your arms to thoroughly integrate the combination.
- Shape every arancini by using taking a small portion of the mixture, squeezing it firmly and stuffing one dice of mozzarella interior each ball. Repeat this manner to form eight arancini.
- Whisk together the closing 2 eggs. Dip each arancini within the eggs and then inside the breadcrumbs, shaking off any extra.
- As soon as the oil reaches 375ºF, upload 2 or 3 of the breaded arancini to the pot and fry them until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Use a slotted spoon to dispose of the fried arancini from the pot and switch them to a paper towel-covered plate. without delay salt the arancini. Repeat the frying manner with the remaining arancini.
- Serve the arancini warm with a aspect of heat marinara sauce.